Show all craft related posts Show all posts for Recipes Show all faith related posts Show all pattern posts Show all posts

Saturday, July 16, 2011

O Canada!!

We have been on the road in our motorhome, affectionately named T.J. now for 10 days.

We named it TJ because my nephew Brad, upon seeing it for the first time proclaimed that it was the Taj Mahal, and it was nicer than his house! It isn't the Taj Mahal, but it is nice. And it has air conditioning, and I am camping, but not sleeping on the ground. After all, I am a city girl with a country heart. I don't do sleeping on the ground and this is my idea of "roughing it". Navy Showers in T.J. or showers in a public restroom are about as close to a wilderness experience as I will ever come. Not to say that I don't enjoy the great outdoors. I love to bike, hike and enjoy nature. Just not from a tent. Or a pop-up camper. Been there, done that. And I did love it at the time. But at this stage in my life, this is the only way I want to go. Unless we are going to a lovely Bed and Breakfast. Without the kids. Then I will go by car and enjoy the ride since my hubby doesn't say anything unless spoken to, or he needs me to read him the directions. It's usually a nice ride with me chatting away and him occasionally nodding or commenting politely just so I know he is still listening.

But I digress. This post is supposed to be about our last 10 days. So here goes.

We left our steamy south Florida home on July 6, headed for Savannah, Ga. to tour SCAD with our oldest daughter, Alicia who is going to school there in the fall. It is a beautiful campus, and we are so excited for her to begin her new life there. However, we did not get to enjoy Savannah, because Little Faith had been eaten alive by mosquitoes at a July 4th fireworks party and ended up with an allergic reaction so bad she looked like she had chicken pox and hives all over her arms, and she couldn't be in the heat or it would break out worse and itch like crazy. And if you've ever been to Savannah in July, you know that there is one thing they have no absence of: Heat. So she and her brothers ended up staying in T.J. while Hubby and I toured SCAD with Alicia. I didn't worry, though 'cause the campground had wi-fi and they all have technology tools, so it was all good. Or so I thought. I texted my sons in the afternoon to find out how Faith was doing, only to get a message back saying she was fine, but the internet was down. All day. I smiled to myself, thinking that they needed to "unplug" anyway, and when we arrived back at the park, I spoke to the manager about the situation. Indeed, they had been having trouble with it, but didn't know the extent reached our area and she would call Comcast, but that they had been out fixing the transponder in the front area earlier that day, and gee, she wished she had known 'cause she would have had him check our area when he was here and it would be a week or so before they would be out again. So No Internet. I really didn't mind, but they did! I assured them that the next campground would have it. I mean, what are the chances? We left there on July 9 to our next destination.

In NC, a lovely campground for 1 night. No internet.

In southern PA, an interesting campground for 1 night, and "no honey, we don't have cable or internet here. They won't let us. Only for the long-termers". No internet.

So, we checked with Windmill Point Campground in Niagara, Canada, our next destination for 4 nights. Internet was important, because we would not have phone service internationally, so in case someone needed to reach us, email was a good option. And usually we use one of our cell phones as our rolling wi-fi hotspot. Not the fastest internet, but internet none the less but since we would have no cell service, that was not an option.  Yes, they assured me they have internet.

But I failed to ask the all important question: DOES IT WORK

When we arrived, we had trouble logging on. So I went to the office, asking if you need a password or something. I got an interesting story. Apparently they had a storm about a month ago in which their wireless antenna was struck by lightning. For some reason, that affected the wi-fi. No kidding. So now they have limited wi-fi at best, none at worst. Honestly, what are the chances?!? I told the kids that I think Somebody is trying to tell them something. It has become a huge joke. Now they are wondering if the internet is working at my sister's house in Ohio, which will be our home for the next few weeks. I told them that their Uncle Bill couldn't live without the internet. I hope I wasn't lying. It would be funny.....

Not really. I think they would string me up by my toes if that happened. Actually, if it did, Dad and Uncle Bill would fix it. Cause they are the ones that can't do without it for very long. 

So a funny thing happened on the way to Canada....we have decided that it must be us. We are just jinxing all the internets everywhere. So watch out when you read this. Yours might be next! I really don't believe in all that, just fun to say. 

I was going to write about Canada, and the beauty that is here, but I think I will save that for the next post. And I promise you no more internet glitches.....he he he he......

No comments:

Post a Comment